School Leavers 16+ Study Programmes – Sport
We honour the importance of a realistic balance between the focus on both your educational development and industry experience. Your studies will equip you for a possible business career and provide you with the potential to apply to a range of Universities.
To be considered for this course, as a minimum you will need 5 GCSE’s, or equivalent at C grade and above. Preferably this will include English and Maths, although pathways are available to those that just miss out on a C Grade in these core subjects.
- BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Sport (Performance & Excellence) – worth up to 3 A Levels, and will facilitate an entrance into University.
- GCSE English and/or Maths ‐ For those who just miss out on a C grade in English and/or Mathematics, we provide tuition to retake these all important qualifications. Essential for those that want to move on to University.
- Functional skills level 2 in English and/or Maths – For those that missed out on GCSE English and/or Mathematics, functional skills may be the best route for progression.
A BTEC National Extended Diploma is traditionally made up of a series of units.
Mandatory units – all nine units must be taken:
- Principles of Anatomy and Physiology in Sport
- The Physiology of Fitness
- Assessing Risk in Sport
- Fitness Training and Programming
- Fitness Testing for Sport and Exercise
- Sports Nutrition
- Psychology for Sports Performance
- Technical and Tactical Skills in Sport
- The Athlete’s Lifestyle
- Sports Coaching
- Practical Team Sports
- Current Issues in Sport
- Exercise, Health and Lifestyle
- Instructing Physical Activity and Exercise
- Sports Injuries
- Analysis of Sports Performance
- Talent Identification and Development in Sport
- Sport and Exercise Massage
- Rules, Regulations and Officiating in Sport
- Organising Sports Events
- Physical Education and the Care of Children and Young People
- Sport as a Business
- Work Experience in Sport
- Sports Facilities and Operational Management
- Profiling Sports Performance
- Research Investigation in Sport and Exercise Sciences
- Laboratory and Experimental Methods in Sport and Exercise Sciences
Where you can study
You can study this course at the following locations:
Click on the Location Map to find out more about that course provider.
Walton Casuals Football Academy
The Bill Shankly Nexgen Academy
Sutton United Football Academy
Stratford Town Football Academy
Redditch Football Academy
Jamie Carragher Football Academy
Advanced Coaching & Education (ACE)
King’s Lynn Town FC Scholarship Programme
JB’s Sports Coaching
Manchester Player Development
Oxfordshire Football Development (OFD)
Aldershot Town FC
Football Futures – Carlisle
The Football College – Manchester
Orange Soccer Academy
Tranmere Rovers FC
Lee Hendrie Academy
Procision Reading Football Academy
Ware FC C.A.S.E
The Football College – Bury FC
Boston United Sports College
Stevenage FC – Cheshunt
Deano’s Soccer Academy – Lincoln
Crystal Palace Foundation – Beckenham
FBT Academy Chesterfield
Braintree Town FC
AFDA Football – Whetstone
Forest Sports Education
Northampton Town FC
Various - see map
BTEC Level 3 National in Sport
5 GCSE’s 9 - 5
Access to higher education, including University, and Higher Apprenticeships.
Anything within the sport and leisure industry, including professional sportsperson, sports coach, centre management.
Course enquiry line